Old May 5th 18, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_28_]

Default Asus P9X79 four short beeps

Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:23 AM, Paul wrote:

LGA2066 4 channel

X299 LGA2066 V1 via DMI V3 Lane
2066 Core i9 i9-7900X(U0) Skylake-X 3.3GHz 13.75MB 140W 44
*******
RAMCH PCIE AVX512
i9-7900X (13.75M cache, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 3.30 GHz) $ 989 4 44

I'm curious what you think of the "high-end" build on this page.
https://www.custompcreview.com/compu...ing-pc-builds/

It uses the Asus MBO I like and the i97900X you show above is "only"
$899.99 at Newegg. The killer for me is the price of the RAM. If I go
this route I'll probably start with a quarter, possibly half the RAM
recommended. But I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the MBO and
CPU they recommend, some of the RAM, and whatever else I need from the
rest.

This would be expensive. And what makes it worse is that my current
system is behaving itself most of the time today. Don't know how long
that will last, though.

Thoughts?

CPU Intel Core i9-7900X ~$989 4 channel CPU, use 4 DIMMs minimum
Motherboard ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe LGA 2066 as you'd expect, $$$
Memory 64GB Kingston HyperX FURY 2133MHz (4x16GB) Kit === could replace with 4x4GB DIMMs
GPU PNY Nvidia Quadro P6000 24GB ~$4500.00 !!! === certified OpenGL support $$$
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Boot Drive Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSD === probably the last 850 Pro (MLC) still in stock, 256/512 gone
Storage Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Optical Drive ASUS Blu-Ray Writer
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-Bit === Cheapskates! This should use Pro.

That video card choice totally swamps out any notion of "cost savings".

I generally try to track down what the "desktop" equivalent of
the card is. In this case, it would be a Titan X (~$1200 original price).
The difference is, the "certified OpenGL support" is for CAD software, and the
card ends up with "business" pricing to go along with the
"professional" creds of the card. The Titan X also has half
the VRAM, but really "12GB is the same as 24GB" for all except
the most extreme applications. SimCity doesn't need 12GB.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-q...ng-benchmarks/

If you were Bill Gates, that would be a great system.

So when I click the button, it goes to Amazon, and is "sans video card" ???
If so, you'd probably want to do a few edits in the parts list.

The motherboard is $500 class.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813132990R

You could go crazy with the RAM in terms of speed... but read the reviews.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 $257

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231980

Pros: Looks nice.

Cons: Did not hold stock clocks or timings.

When it would hold them, it required such High VSA and VCCIO
that the CPU was under threat.

Would only load past the windows logo once every 10+ boots
during these moments of testing.

Spreaders conflict with larger, say 135mm, CPU heatsink fans.

Your build is using a water cooler for the CPU, so it doesn't
matter how tall the heat spreaders are. The hose barbs and
tubing have to be routed so they don't conflict with
RAM or something.

These other ones, the five reviews seem to be better for some
reason, perhaps because they were testing with a different
CPU type ? It's hard to find ordinary DIMMs that actually
claim to be tested with X299 (for whatever that is worth -
the machine should really work with any DDR4 you select).
The reason for selecting this, is the hope the XMP profile
works to save on the need for "tuning".

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231907 $238.99

This is easily a $2000 build, just quickly doing a few sums
in my head. And say, reusing your video card. A $500 motherboard,
a $1000 CPU, $250 for RAM, a bit more other junk, and so on.
The CPU liquid cooler probably costs a few bucks. But
is going to be more friendly than putting a huge Noctua
air cooler in there. I had to seat the DIMMs on my system,
using a "pusher stick" made of wood, to snap the DIMMs into place.
A water cooler leaves a lot more room (although it doesn't give
any blowdown cooling or anything, for motherboard components).
You might want to check the temps on the VCore regulator
during your build/test. When Prime95 is running (non-AVX version).

Paul