Old November 4th 05, 12:31 PM
XStylus

Default W200 Multiport modification?

viglactinwrote:
XSTYLUS,

Hi, Can you kindly post a picture of which is red, black etc.

Thanks in advance.

Can't provide pictures, sorry, but the pins on the multiport are
numbered and I can tell you which does what. I have wired up a
working netgear MA111 WiFi adapter to replace my dying multiport
card, and it works fine.

With the laptop facing you, the pins are numbered as such:

4321
8765

Pins 1 and 5 are even marked to help you, in case the above diagram
isn't good enough.

If you were to chop up a USB cable, you'll find four cables - Red,
Green, White, and Black. You may also have an outer wirey mesh or
sheath, which serves as interferance shielding and also doubles as
ground (which is also the black wire's job too).

Pin 2 = Red
Pin 5 = Green
Pin 6 = White
Pin 1 or 8 (either one is fine) = Black/Ground

As for the other pins, I have no idea what they're for, nor do I need
to care. The above pins give a normal USB port, and that's all I need
to know. However, note that the Fn-F2 button you used to use to switch
the multiport on or off will no longer do squat.

I bear no responsibility if you blow things up, so use at your own
risk. It works for me though.

For people who own a Presario 900 or an older Compaq with Multiport
capability, this still only gives you a USB 1.1 port. So, if you're
looking to replace your 802.11b W200 with a fancy 802.11g card,
you're wasting your time and money. Grabbing an 802.11g card will do
you no good what-so-ever because the port can't go any faster than
11mbps, unless you want it strictly for bragging rites.

If you own a Presario 1500 or newer, I think those units are equipped
with USB 2.0 chipsets so you might get some love there if you want
802.11g, but I'm not 100% on that. Your milage may vary.