Old September 9th 03, 03:16 AM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
- PS/2 hole for keyboard
- serial port for serial-attached hardware or serial mouse
- PS/2 hole for mouse
- parallel port for printer
- custom PCMCIA card for scanner

Without USB I need:

PS/2 hole for mouse.
Serial port for printer, handheld, and other serial devices.
Cardbus slot for Ethernet/Modem or SCSI or firewire.
PCMCIA-CF adapter.

and so on. With USB, all you need is a hub, and only if you have more then 2
devices to attach to the laptop.

With USB I need:

USB hole for mouse.
Serial port for printer and other serial devices.
Cardbus slot for Ethernet/Modem or SCSI or firewire.
PCMCIA-CF adapter.
USB port for handheld. Nominally 12 MB/s, practically 56K.

If it's a "legacy-free" laptop, add:

Overpriced USB-serial dongle for serial devices.
Replacement overpriced USB-serial dongle when it gets lost or stolen.
USB hub.

If it's an aggressive "legacy-free" laptop, add:

Overpriced USB modem dongle.
Annoying USB flash memory dongle that I keep leaving at home.
Another USB hub because the first one keeps resetting the mouse
when I plug in the annoying USB flash memory dongle.
Another annoying USB flash memory dongle because I left the
first one at home, remember?
A couple of extra A-B and A-A cables because I keep leaving them
in hotel rooms.

And if I need to read DVDs or get online:

New laptop with cardbus slot for ethernet/SCSI/firewire
because USB is still too frigging slow.

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All