Old January 22nd 04, 04:51 PM
Ogden Johnson III

(Phred) wrote:

G'day mates,

I'm looking for a simple recipe to ensure success when trying to
install a second HDD on a Dell Dimension 4100 under Windows ME
(or even just mention of "gotchas" to avoid would be helpful .

Current 20GB drive is partitioned C, D, E, F using PM 6.0

[Snip complexities]

My recommendation would be, since I am not sure of how Win
versions before XP handle the drive designations [my prior
installs of a second drive, under DOS and Win9x versions, always
insisted on their primary partition assuming the D: designation,
with their extended partition with logical drives took their
designations following the first drive's extended partition
logical drive designations], to move up to Win XP [either Home or
Pro] and PM 8.0 [6.0 won't do XP]. I have had no problem
installing a second drive, and picking any drive letters [other
than C:] for the drives I put on that physical HD.

My first HD is C:, F:, G:, H:, I:, J:.
CD's are D: and E:
My second HD picked up L: [I have an external Zip 100 that is K:]
automagically when installed, and I used PM to split it into
several drives. But I could have reordered my drive designations
in any fashion [other than the sacrosanct C:] I chose. Keeping
conscious, of course, of potential screw ups in any drive
designations "hard-wired" into a registry entry, program, etc.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.