Old March 9th 04, 11:29 PM
Mike Walsh

On older motherboards the I/O speed will be the protocol of the slower device; PIO mode is worst case. This was usually a problem with a hard drive and a CDROM on the same cable. Some say that newer boards with dual fifo can run different protocol for each device. I have not tried any tests to verify this.

Steve James wrote:

Hi

I have two HD's on the same IDE channel, I think one is faster than the
other (ATA and RPM), will the fastest one be 'held back' by the slowest one
or not ? I have my O/S and program files on the main (fastest) drive and
only use the slower one for storage and the pagefile. (to reduce head
travel)

MTIA

Steve

--