Old October 9th 06, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default 2 burners at the same time

"Dan G" wrote in message
. ..

I have several burning and ripping programs. I also have 2 burners.
Is

it
possible to rip a CD on one burner while burning a wav file on the

other,
using 2 different programs. So far I haven't been able to; the
computer
reboots when I try it.

Thanks,

Norm Strong

The drives have to be on separate IDE channels to be successfully used at
the same time. There's no reason for your PC to be rebooting though, and
this needs to be sorted out. Sounds like a driver problem, so be sure that
your IDE controller driver is the default MS driver, not Nvidia or similar
3rd party driver. You should also set Windows to BSOD instead of
rebooting,
so you can see an error message.

Most people who need/want to be doing multiple jobs with optical drives
will
get a PCI controller card and move hard drive(s) to that, leaving the main
IDE open for burners. (PCI cards do not work well for opticals) Some
systems will be able to use multiple drives on firewire or USB2, but
results
can vary widely.

Both burners are on the same IDE channel; both burners are set for CS (cable
select). I have only one hard drive, but it's an SATA drive, so I don't
know how to add a parallel device to that channel. HOWEVER, I do have a
Promise card that will add 2 more parallel channels to the computer. It's
currently sitting in a box, doing nothing. I bought it because I wanted to
transfer a bunch of stuff from a parallel HD to my computer. I suppose I
could install the Promise card and put one of the burners on that channel.

I was surprised when I couldn't use both burners at the same time since I
can easily copy a DVD or CD on the fly using one burner to read and the
other to write.

Norm