Old December 21st 07, 10:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless,comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
~misfit~[_8_]

Default Wi-Fi Ranges

Somewhere on teh intarweb "danny burstein" typed:
In m "BillW50"
writes:

The record using a home made directional antenna at a hackers
convention in Las Vegas a couple of years ago was 51 miles. Although
I never learned if they were on top of a mountain or not. I bet they
were.

details: http://www.wifiworldrecord.com/

That's old hat. It was broken in Venezula the next year. The one you linked
to was 200km, the Venezuelan record is 279km using just a pair of Linksys
WRT54G's.

+Update+

That was in '06. I've just Googled the guy who did it (Ermanno Pietrosemoli)
and find that my info is old, his record got broken, so he set a new one in
June this year. 382km, or 238 miles for you late adopters.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

"another academic failure.... trying to prove that your smart"
'blanking', nz.comp, 20 Dec 2007.

"your so predictable misfit"
'blanking', nz.comp, 21 Dec 2007.