Old September 15th 14, 06:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default "Seagate Ships World¢s First 8TB Hard Drives"

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

Please reread my original question above -- I was asking specifically
about removeable platters in Winchester drives. I never said I was
unfamiliar with removeable platters.

Yep, you're right. There were Winchester drives where the heads were in
the platter package. The whole thing could be removed. About the only
time I saw that happen (obviously my experience doesn't encompass every
conceivable situation) was when a defective platter/head package got
removed to get replaced with a new one.

So, yes, just the electronics (and motor) would be left behind after
removing the platter/head package. It provided modularity so the whole
washing machine didn't have to get replaced.