Old April 1st 09, 05:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Default Asus A33 DAV

ChicagoDave wrote:
I'm having trouble installing drivers for ASUS 33 DAV I used Vista
Ultimate. In device manager i see 2 Video driver entry and 2 unknown
devices. I need help finding correct drivers and installing them. the
AV controller is not working either. I dont have HDMI on my TV, and
svideo looks very bad on my tv. please help

I was able to run straight video out from the yellow jack into the
game port on my regular TV and it looked okay when it played video,
but was pretty horrific in terms of computer display. Running
component and HDMI was okay with native drivers - but once I
downloaded the Nvidia drivers it looked stellar.

Now I've found a couple of other issues. One, this box runs REALLY
hot. An inch or two above the top of the machine isn't enough.
Likely this box won't be able to be in the cabinet at all (which
defeats the purpose), and I'll likely need to either mod out the fans
and CPU heatsink. The HDMI also only worked for about a day at which
point it only displayed black or purple psychadelic colors. Component
works well for video, but I can't get sound working now.

Frankly, I'm suspecting I'm going to just salvage the tuner cards,
hard drive, memory I purchased, and move on viewing this as moderately
expensive lesson in buying things 'as is'.

Nvidia had an underfill problem with their GPUS.
The failure of your HDMI, could be related to a chip failure.
You'd have to trace down the Nvidia component, to see whether
it is one of the affected ones.

http://legacy.macnn.com/print/60132
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10119277-64.html

So what you're seeing, might not be an "ordinary" electrical
failure of some HDMI signals. It could be a connection
failure at the GPU.

Paul