Old February 4th 10, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
onovich[_2_]

Default Asus A33 DAV

onovich;1173963 Wrote:
I am in the same boat as you. Running Windows 7 32bit. The audio driver
seems to be working fine with the spdif and hd audo, but no audio from
the hdmi, it's not even listed in the audio sources.

I took the machine apart and checked everything was connected
correctly, it was, so not sure what to do.

Okay, so one correction, I am running windows 7 64bit, not 32bit, I
also upgraded the harddrive to 1TB, bumped up the ram to 4gigs, and
threw in a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5400+ to give the unit a little
more umph.

The unknown device in the device manager is I believe related to the
onboard amp. The device is called D2Audio USB. I found a compatible
vista driver for it and it's working properly now. But this in not the
reason the hdmi sound doesn't work.

As far as the hdmi sound goes, it's not an sound issue (the sound card
is a SoundMAX AD1986A, but the default window drivers for this are fine,
don't waste your time looking for drivers), but a video card issue. I
tried to find an nvidia 6150 driver that would make the hdmi sound work,
but I gave up, so here's what I did.

I ditched the two tuner pci-e tuner cards and replaced them with a
VisionTek Radeon HD 4650 @ a whopping $49 (the hmdi sound works right
out of the box and it's many orders of magnitude better than the 6150 )
and a hauppauge 2250 @ $90 (you could use one of the 1800 cards, but
then you will only be able to record one show instead of two, the 2250
has two tuners built in, so the same functionality as both the 1800
cards).

The only catch, at it's fairly minor, you need to take the mounting
brackets off the new cards and do some manipulation to it to make it fit
in the case, only took me a couple min. of bending the bracket, and
drilling a small hole to accept a screw. On the handyman scale of 1 to
10, this is a 2 of effort.

Now, I have a kick *** media center pc in my living room. It's very
fast, very quite, and holds a ton. All said and done, it cost me around
$500 total. And who knows, maybe I can sell my old hauppauge 1800 cards
to recoup some of my money. And with the new video card, now I can get
a slot-load blueray dvd and make this sucker play blue-ray dvd's as
well. woot woot.

hope this helps!