Old December 3rd 06, 02:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
***** charles

Default Printing to a net printer?

Thanks for the post. The configuration is Windows 2000 Pro machine
connected to a Linksys WRT54G with ethernet cable and an Apple
Laserwriter 16/600 PS connected to the WRT54G with an ethernet
cable and adapter. The printer only has the original 8M of ram, no
print managers. I would still like to get it to work if I don't have to
buy anything else but I got my two pages I needed, see other post.

later......

"jasee" wrote in message
"***** charles" wrote in message
t...
Thanks for the links. Some I had already seen. None say how to get
the IP address of the printer. Chicken and egg problem - you have
to know the ip to manage the ip. I have no MacIntosh computers so
I can't use the printer utility about which they speak. I don't have a
Windows 95 machine either. There seems to be a utility program that
runs on 95 but I don't think it works with 2000.
I have had the printer connected to the 2000 machine with the parallel
port and the proper driver was loaded. It has printed pages out before
but now it just sits there and doesn't respond when I send a print job
to it. Eventually it just times out and gives me a printing error.
That's
when I thought that switching to a network link might work.

It's possible that the parallel port connection within the printer may be
faulty, but a network connection may work, but have you tried replacing

the
cable and tightening the connections? Will the printer print out a test

page
correctly?

I have
tried disconnecting and reconnecting, unloading and reloading drivers
and no response for the parrallel connection. I installed the unix
printing stuff about which the articles speak but untill I know the IP
address of the printer, I am stuck.

It can be difficult, you don't say whether you you connect to it directly.
Or via a seperate print server.
If a print server, then the problem may remain if the parallel port
connection within the printer is faulty.

If there is a network connection on the printer. You may find a button

near
the network card which if pressed (briefly) will print out a configuration
page which should show an ip address. Alternatively, you may be able just

get the printer to print out it's configuration just by turning it on with
one button pressed. Depending on the printer.

Then, look for an ip address, if the ip address is 0.0.0.0, look for a MAC
address. If the ip address is set to anything other than 0.0.0.0, then put
your computer in that range and simply http://the printer's ip adresss,
where you can simply change it to one in the range you usually use.
If the address is 0.0.0.0, then the easiest way is to get a utility from

HP

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cach...0-225-121.html

If the link does not work, then you should search for Web Jetadmin.

Jetadmin
(the previous version) worked a lot better, but for some reason everything
must be java nowadays! This is a program which will find locally connected
printers from their ip address or MAC address, then you can use it connect
to the network card and set a useful ip address.

Theoretically, these types of printers should set their own network

address.
It is usually a matter of resetting the card to it's defaults. However it
sometimes picks a stupid address.