Old December 3rd 06, 08:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Irv

Default Printing to a net printer?

maybe try asking these folks

fixyour ownprinter.com

also look here

http://www.ernietheattorney.net/erni...zing_prin.html

there is an apple printer utility for windows that might help.
all this apple stuff is greek to me.

hope some of my search items help.

you need laserwriter utility for windows.
i couldn't find it.
but look here
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/d...ty/Default.asp

"***** charles" wrote in message
t...
Thanks for the links. Some I had already seen. None say how to get
the IP address of the printer. Chicken and egg problem - you have
to know the ip to manage the ip. I have no MacIntosh computers so
I can't use the printer utility about which they speak. I don't have a
Windows 95 machine either. There seems to be a utility program that
runs on 95 but I don't think it works with 2000.
I have had the printer connected to the 2000 machine with the parallel
port and the proper driver was loaded. It has printed pages out before
but now it just sits there and doesn't respond when I send a print job
to it. Eventually it just times out and gives me a printing error.
That's
when I thought that switching to a network link might work. I have
tried disconnecting and reconnecting, unloading and reloading drivers
and no response for the parrallel connection. I installed the unix
printing stuff about which the articles speak but untill I know the IP
address of the printer, I am stuck.

later.....

"Irv" wrote in message
hey Charles

hopefully, these links combined will get you going.
looks like special stuff for that printer when using win2k.
good luck.

http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/laserwriter16-600/

http://cag.csail.mit.edu/~mtaylor/7300N

http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu/commun...p_printer.html

https://webserver.brandeis.edu/pages...etworkPrinting

"***** charles" wrote in message
. net...
Hi all,

I have a Laserwriter 16/600PS that is connected to my lan
with ethernet. I also have a Windows 2000 Pro machine
that I have to get to print to this thing. How do I determine
the IP address of the printer? and How do I set up 2K
to print to the thing?

thanks a bunch,
charles......