Old October 15th 06, 02:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Andreas Keppler

Default Western Digital "My Book" - Questions

"bxf" wrote:

I canīt find any information about the standby-mode of the Western
Digital My Book - harddrive!

I could only find a lot of reviews talking about a standby-mode after 5
minutes!

But I donīt want to turn of the HDīs motor! (for a longer life of the
HD)

For what it's worth, WD says that although spinning up and down
repeatedly DOES present the drive with greater wear and tear than if
it's continuously spinning, this is true only up to a point, and the
drive's design is such that it is expected to spin down several times a
day. I think I saw this somewhere in the WD FAQ.

First of all, thank you for your explanations!

Its good to hear that the spinning up and down doesnt harm the HD but
I think that there is a standard HD inside the mybook!
(Do you know how to open the plastic case?)

Yesterday I bought the 250GB-MyBook with USB2.0 and Firewire400 and
connected it via Firewire.

I am very satisfied with everything but I cant understand why WD
doesnt deliver a tool with which users can prevent the standbye-mode
or change the time for this mode!

Do you know a tool which sends (reads) a command to the HD every one
minute so it doesnt go in standby?

One more question: Do you know how the read the S.M.A.R.T.-Status via
Firewire/USB2.0? It seems that this isnīt possible! :-(

Andy