Old June 25th 06, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Western Digital "Recertified" Drives - How Reliable.? ? ? ?

Hello Alan K (Top posting cause you did...!)

I only use recognized brand name power supplies... NO junk here..!

Starz_Kid...

"Alan Kakareka" wrote in message
I would first check my power supply for stable voltages.
what kind of PS do you have ?

--
Alan Kakareka
Data Recovery Service
"Jan Alter" wrote in message
The fact that both the new WD died within a year is question enough to
wonder what kind of quality those drives are in the first place even
without putting a re-certified drive into service to follow them. I

would
go with another brand.

--
Jan Alter

or

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Starz_Kid wrote:

Hello Group, About a year ago, I bought 2 WD Caviar SE-Serial ATA
drives (WD3000JD) within a week of each other. Installed them in the
computer and used them for VIDEO_TS directories - using the second
drive as a backup.

A few months ago the first drive DIED...TOTALLY....
within a week, the second drive DIED..! I

Worth checking the drive temperature with Everest.

Simultaneous drive failure is usually due to the system the drives are
in.

Bummer......... Although I did back up
ALL of the data when the first drive failed.

Went through the warrantee process with WD
and within a week, I had 2 replacement drives.

BUT... they are labeled as "Recertified" - Ohhhhh... Bummer..!

My experience with Refurb, or remanufactured,
or "Recertified drives isn't really good...!

Should I trust these drive with DATA or...

Should I just use the drives as doorstops..???

Wondering..!

Since you do have a decent backup strategy,
you arent taking much risk by using them.

I'd certainly check the environment they are being used in tho.