Old May 16th 17, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default Disk Drive Problem

On 5/16/2017 8:33 AM, wrote:
II want to burn an audio CD on my W7 PC with its single DVD RW drive.
I am having problems. Although the BIOS recognizes the internal disk
drive, and will boot from it, W7 will not recognize the drive at
all. Strangely, file explorer shows a strange disk drive P, but it
never works. Keeps saying 'Insert a disk' even tho there is a disk in
the one internal drive. I opened the box and replaced the internal
DVDRW drive connection (which is SATA8) with another DVDRW drive. The
BIOS acts the same, and the drive again will boot. However file
explorer now shows a second drive F with a disk in it (which there
is). It will read the disk. It will play an audio CD and a video DVD
therein. Still shows the strange Drive P.
II think I need to replace the internal DVDRW drive with the second
one. No choice. But what is file explorer drive P? It does
nothing seemingly.

Thanks
Sam

Under computer management - Storage - Disk Management what does the
computer have to say for itself? For example, on my present system if I go
to this location and select my BlueRay DVD and chose properties - Details
- Property 'Hardware IDs' I see

"SCSI\CdRomHL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_1.02
SCSI\CdRomHL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_
SCSI\CdRomHL-DT-ST
SCSI\HL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_1
HL-DT-STBD-RE__WH16NS40_1
GenCdRom"

Or you could look at 'Friendly name' which is less overwhelming.

All sorts of other information is available including drivers and such --
you might want to look at the error flags too.