Old April 17th 09, 01:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default RAID - SATA & SATA II confusion

On Apr 16, 3:51*pm, Paul wrote:
wrote:

Thanks a lot, it was really useful and instructive. I will definively
take a closer look at the RE3 drives, I thought that the entreprise
drives were more expensive, and I saw some comments about problems
with adaptec RAID controllers and non-entreprise grade drives like you
said, but I didn't see any comments about the caviar black serie.

I still don't understand why adaptec use the term Serial ATA II for
some of there controllers if we shouldn't use it. Or maybe Serial ATA
II and SATA II doesn't mean the same thing, but I saw on many sites
that it does... and shouldn't be used. for example:
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/product...are/sata/value...

I also didn't see any problems with my ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard
& the 2405, but if someone knows a known problem please let me know.

Thanks again

I expect the Adaptec marketing staff have a lot of trouble balancing
the suggestions on that FAQ page, with the ability to convince
customers they're getting the right product. And marketing dribble
is not the place for them to be putting in long winded explanations
about terminology. The result will be some adverts with non-compliant
terminology, and other adverts which are downright confusing.

* * Paul- Hide quoted text -

I just have a last question concerning the drives firmware versions.
The last time I built a RAID 0 array I was lucky and received 2 HD
with the same firmware. I once saw that for maximum performance and to
prevent problems we should always use drives of the same firmware
version when building a RAID array. Is it true? It makes sense to me.
But this time, since I will use 4 drives I have not many chances to
receive all HD with the same firmware. Can it really cause me some
problems, I guess I could flash the firmware on some of them, but I
also saw that HD companies (like seagate, I don't know for WD) don't
let anybody access to the firmware updates, so I'm afraid this
solution could not be possible. Anyone had experienced this situation?
I wonder if I could ask the online store (tigerdirect, cnix,etc..) if
they can send me exactly the same HDs, but I doupt so...

Thanks again