Old March 29th 07, 05:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

Default Raid0 or Raid5 for network to disk backup (Gigabit)?

"markm75" wrote in message oups.com
On Mar 29, 5:59 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Maurice Volaski wrote:

markm75 wrote:

I think right now on Raid5, sataII, i'm getting a write speed of 57 MB/
s (bypassing windows cache, using SIsandra to benchmark).. if you dont
bypass the windows cache this becomes more like 38 MB/s..
Aren't these numbers reversed? Anyway, good drives should be 75
MB/second when the cache is bypassed. Not bypassing it should give
significantly greater performance.

With a reasonable buffer (not cache) implementation, yes. Something
seems wrong or MS screwed up rather badly in implementing this.

But the 75MB/s figure only applies to the start of the disk.
At the end it is typically is somewere in the 35...50MB/s range,
since the cylinders contain less sectors.

Arno

Apologies.. Yeah when bypassing the cache I got an index of 57MB/s...

No, really?
Who would have thought that from your first post. Thanks for clearing that up.
It all becomes much clearer now.