Old April 18th 08, 04:10 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
WebDawg

Default DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe

I have a few questions and I have been googling for a while.

You mentioned that it is a felony to erase a hard disk wrong. Can you explain further? Where did you get this information from?

Also you mentioned approved software? Does the DOD actually have a list?

For instance if I were to create a program that states it complies to the standards how is anyone to know that it doesnt?

Software like KillDisk, DBAN, and others all have the DOD option. How am I to know that they work?

I have also found out that even software like killdisk sometimes cannot erase a hard drive correctly because of the limitations in the bios due to areas on the hard disk that the computer cannot access itself.

If this is true then is is not a felony to even use certified software(by who?) to erase a hard disk?

Thank You For Your Time And Patience,

WebDawg

.