Old October 17th 03, 08:02 PM
Peter da Silva

In article ,
Maxim S. Shatskih wrote:
to be needed next, but I don't know of any commercial file system that does
this (though Windows - gasp! - reportedly has some such mechanism to
expedite application loading).

Starting with XP, Windows uses this prefetch for both app binaries and for
kernel modules - the latter speeds up booting a lot.

There's lots of file systems that prefetch blocks and objects... UNIX has
prefetched blocks for sequentially accessed files since the late '70s at
least. That doesn't sound like what Bill was talking about... could you go
into more detail, perhaps?

--
I've seen things you people can't imagine. Chimneysweeps on fire over the roofs
of London. I've watched kite-strings glitter in the sun at Hyde Park Gate. All