Old December 10th 18, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default What am I doing wrong?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:52:18 -0500, Paul

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:21:01 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 05:49:33 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 20:06:51 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 17:09:52 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Turing wrote:

John McGaw wrote:

Turing wrote:

I am trying to fire up this W7 PC to eventually use on a PS/2 KVM. The
PC has only one PS/2 connection (plus a few USBs of course). I want
to use a keyboard and a mouse which both are PS/2. I tried using both
the keyboard and mouse one at a time and both work during bootup. So
they both seem to work. Even in W7 altho still only one at a time.
I have to make things work with both mouse and keyboard connect of
course. I then tried using both connected to a Y connector which
changes the connections to the single PC USB input connection. Both
mouse and keyboard still work during boot. However, when I get to W7,
neither work. Funny, since both work when alone. Even when using the
Y connector. So the mouse, keyboard, Y connector, and PC USB port all
seem to be good individually, but not together, which I seem to need.
No guarantees:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyb...dp/B000067SLZ/

There are cheaper alternatives availlble.
That looks like mine except the white end on my 'y' is USB. Are you
saying that reducing the keyboard and mouse PS/2 connectors down to
one PC/2 connector will work when mine won't? That wud mean the
problem is in the conversion from PS/2 to USB wouldn't it?
When converting between hardware protocols (USB and PS/2), you need an
*active* adapter, not just a bunch of wires. For some keyboards, they
do the conversion inside them; that is, they have the hardware protocol
conversion logic. Lots of keyboards do not as they as designed solely
for USB or PS/2 but not both.

Did your USB keyboard come with a PS/2 adapter? No, not did you find or
buy one separately and try to use with the keyboard but instead did the
keyboard come packaged with its own USB-to-PS/2 adapter? That would
indicate (but not guarantee) the keyboard contains the hardware protocol
conversion logic.

Keyboard can come in the PS/2-only variety, USB-only, or USB-PS/2. It
depends on the logic inside the keyboard. You did not mention your
brand and model of keyboard. What brand and model of keyboard do you
have? If it has a USB end on its cord, and unless you specifically
looked for a USB-PS/2 keyboard, it is highly likely to be USB-only. To
connect to the PS/2 port on your computer, you need:

- PS/2-only keyboard (and mouse).
- USB-PS/2 keyboard and use its USB-to-PS/2 adapter.
- USB-only keyboard and an active USB-to-PS/2 adapter to convert
hardware protocols (USB to PS/2).

The Y-adapter that Paul mentioned is just splitting the wires from a
PS/2 port to a couple of PS/2 ends. No hardware protocol conversion is
required because both ends are PS/2. Some examples of an active
USB-to-PS/2 adapter a

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ps%2F2+adapter

wow

thanx for the insight.

Al
My Y-splitter is only labled wih a hard to read 'USB TO PS2' and has
one end wiith USB and the other end with two PS2s (purple & green). It
has a 'box' in the middle wherein the 'split' occurs. Does presence
of a 'box' mean it is active? Probably not, or is that how I can
tell it is 'active'? How does one tell the differeence? Think I can
use it to try to go PS2 to USB? Just wondering. IOW, are these
things reversible? I look at your suggested URL and see Y's with and
without a 'box'.

And I thought this was going to be simple! I have a PS/2 (ATEN
CS-114A) KVM, and one PC with no PS2 ports, just several USBs, and
one PC with one green PS2 port and several USBs. Maybe I can't make
this combo work? What do you think?
Thanks
Al

Damn! I thought to try to verify that the mice & keyoards I have all
work when connected directly to the PC which has only one PS/2 port,
purple & green. One keyboard at a time. They do. I then put one
keyboard PS/2 into my Y-connector and the latter to a PC USB port. It
worked too. So the keyboard is good on that computer, as is the Y.
I then piped the keyboard PS2 through the KVM. NEITHER THE MOUSE OR
KEYBOARD WORKED! So it wud seem that I cannot use this Aten 4-port
CS-114A KVM for some reason. Strange, because the KVM switches the
monitor to both PCs quite nicely.
Damn! Or did I already say that.
Al

Me again.
I have wondering if I have the KVM right. Having formerly had a
IOGEAR KVM for years which blew, I thought I should be able to handle
this ATEN KVM blindfolded. Still think so, but the cryptic manuals I
find confuse me. Anyone know of a better ATEN manual source than I
find using a Google search?
Thanks
Al

This is the CS-114A KVM.

https://assets.aten.com/product/manual/cs_114a.pdf

That doesn't have a USB port on it.

Am I missing something ?

Holy Mackerel! I have created confusion. SAT. The front of the Aten
CS-114A KVM in the above URL is a dead match for the front of mine,
the back of which has 10 PS/2s. Now I look closer at the front of
mine, and something I can hardly see (my KVM is used) barely shows
'Masterview', so I assumed (hastily I admit) I had the right manual.
at the above URL. I have to say though, above the KVM pictured in
the web picture it does say 'MASTERVIEW KVMSWITCH'. Now I join you
in confusion. I have not found a 4-port Aten MASTERVIEW that has a
front like mine. I want to rush this reply to you because I am sorry
I confused you - it is my fault. I have been busy today otherwise, but
I will try now to read the rest of your post to see where to go next.
Al

How are you able to plug your active Y adapter
into the side with the five interfaces ??? Both the
gender and direction of dataflow would be wrong
for that to work.

I'm confused. Is this some other KVM you're testing
on, one with USB ?

Paul