Old December 5th 18, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default Copieing 60.000 items from Windows Live Mail extreme performancedegradation

wrote:
Disabling the mouse is done by clicking on the title bar of cmd.exe window and going to properties and disabling "quick edit mode".

Quick edit mode is insane.

Anyway I will try the following command:

robocopy w: r: /MIR /ETA

This is the last damn thing I am going to try and if I don't like it, this will be the end of it, though I did already noticed "lagging in sound playback" so this could indicate it's somewhat faster perhaps.

Here goes:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Skybuckr:

R:\dir
Volume in drive R is TestTestTest
Volume Serial Number is D4F6-722F

Directory of R:\

File Not Found

R:\w:

W:\dir
Volume in drive W is Windows Live Mail
Volume Serial Number is 103F-69D4

Directory of W:\

05/12/2018 17:23 DIR Windows Live Mail
0 File(s) 0 bytes
1 Dir(s) 4,536,350,720 bytes free

W:\robocopy w: r: /MIR /ETA

It's a folder copying tool, and I was hoping you'd just
copy a folder, not a whole hard drive partition.

To copy the C: drive, requires at least one other special
parameter to avoid problems with Junction Points.

To measure drive performance, on an older OS...

Start : Run

perfmon.msc

In there, right click to add new performance counters.
Add the "Physical Disk" one, which has "Disk write bytes per second"
or similar. As well as "Disk read bytes per second".

The perfmon.msc display will show the transfer rate.

On Win8/Win10, the Task Manager performance display, and
the particular disk, you click on that and a transfer
graph is shown.

On Win7/Win8/Win10, there is Resource Monitor, a button
you click from the Performance screen of Task Manager.
it shows transfer rate versus "program", such as robocopy.

There are plenty of ways to monitor transfers, without
resorting to "/ETA".

Robocopy is capable of async transfer, where reads and writes
can overlap on two drives. It's unlike a conventional
copy where "read" then "write" happens, as the tool alternates
between drives for each phase. The extent to which overlap
happens on the async (non-blocking) transfer, has varied
a lot over the years. But with some luck, you might see
it overlapping the reads and writes (on two different hard
drives). If you transfer files between two partitions
on the same hard drive, the operation will be serialized
by the hardware itself (the need to move the heads back
and forth between partitions).

Paul