Old November 5th 18, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default Q about KVM

On 11/5/2018 9:59 AM, wrote:
I am looking at KVMs on EBAY - will choose DVI this time. I notice
the pics show only one USB to support mouse and keyboard. How do they
get away with that? My mouse and keyboard each has its own USB
connector. and right now needed two ports on my defunct IOGEAR VGA KVM
is why I ask.
Thanks
Al

If you look up a picture of the back of "IOGEAR 4-Port DVI KVMP Switch with
Cables, TAA Compliant, GCS1104" (the one that I have and which is
definitely no an economy buy) you will see that there is a pair of USB
"type A" ports designated "console" which go to the keyboard and mouse. The
hydra cables that go to each computer have only a single "Type B" that
serves to connect the keyboard, mouse, and whatever is connected to the
auxiliary USB device and it does this via an internal USB hub function. Of
course there are also the audio and DVI connectors but I don't think those
are part of the question unless one is seeking "double link" DVI rather
than the more common "single". So far as I know the hydra cables are pretty
much standard items, at least so far as IOGEAR is concerned. The cable
description can be found by searching out "IOGEAR Single Link DVI-D USB KVM
Cable, 6 Feet, G2L7D02U". One end of this cable has a "type A" connector
which plugs into the computer and a "type B" connector which plugs into the
KVM.

Hope that clarifies rather than confuses the situation.