Old November 5th 18, 09:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Q about KVM

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 11:43:46 -0500, John McGaw wrote:

On 11/5/2018 9:59 AM, wrote:
I am looking at KVMs on EBAY - will choose DVI this time. I notice
the pics show only one USB to support mouse and keyboard. How do they
get away with that? My mouse and keyboard each has its own USB
connector. and right now needed two ports on my defunct IOGEAR VGA KVM
is why I ask.
Thanks
Al

Which one are you looking at, specifically? Mine has a single USB on the
front and two on the back for keyboard and mouse

There are many. One is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KVM-Cable-f...0~:rk:197:pf:0
I guess I am confused.
You see my present, now defunct, KVM is VGA, and the VGA cables
connecting each PC to the KVM connect the mouse and keyboard
capability with USB attachments on said cables to both (plus sound
cables). And of course, the mouse and keyboard themselves connect to
the KVM too. That's how the mouse and keyboard reach each PC. So far
I do not see that on the DVI models. I think I see (on the DVI) just
one cable, printer on one end, USB on the other. Also sound cables
tho. So I have no idea how the mouse and keyboard each reach the PCs
via a DVI KVM. Unless it is thru the DVI itself?
Thanks for your response.
Al