Old October 14th 07, 04:16 AM posted to alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.xbox,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Yousuf Khan

Default Intel's 'Larrabee' a candidate processor for the NEXT generationgame consoles?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Lots of core and threads, but I miss anything that indicates it will be
x86 as we know it. The article clearly says an x86 subset with GPU
extensions, a description which could mean anything from a 386
instruction set with vector FPU to... whatever.

article:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...s-larrabee.ars

slides: http://bt.pa.msu.edu/TM/BocaRaton2006/talks/davis.pdf

AMD seems to be aiming at the same market with its Fusion chips. There
will be a few CPU cores, but there will also be a GPU core which can be
configured for physics operations rather than for graphics. It'll also
be the equivalent of multiple mini-x86 cores when it comes to physics.

Yousuf Khan