Old September 12th 05, 07:21 PM
Ben Myers

If the internal ZIP drive is IDE, it should go nicely inside an available 3.5"
drive bay (or a 5.25" drive bay with adapter bracket). It does not need drivers
because Windows XP recognizes it as a removable drive. (I installed a 250MB
USB ZIP drive in a new Dell Precision recently with no problems. It handles a
lot of 100MB ZIP cartridges that were written on a Mac G3.)

Some external ZIP drives are also cheap and easier to install, but only the
250MB USB drive is worth doing. External parallel ZIP sucks. External SCSI
ZIP requires an internal SCSI adapter, so it offers no advantage... Ben Myers

On 12 Sep 2005 13:55:24 -0400, wrote:

Would a modern XP machine (I am thinking Dimension
5100) recognize and install drivers for a 100 meg
zip drive?

Would I need to download drivers from anywhere?

The zip drive is quite old, originally
coming in a Dimension XPS R-400, but has been living
in a newer XP box.

These fit in a 3.5 slot I believe, is that correct?

If this is not feasible, I guess I could try putting
in her old hard drive and getting her documents from
there, and switching her to USB Jump Drives, that should
be close to the UI of the zip drives.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)