Old May 28th 04, 08:46 PM
Robert Downes

I use a Belkin 2-port KVM Switch (no audio) but the model name on mine
is F1DJ102P-B.

It happens to appear in a review on my site:

http://www.bobulous.net/imho/shuttleSB51G.html

I'm pretty happy with it, given the low cost and its usefulness, but I
don't think anyone considers KVM switches perfect.

Being a PS/2 port device, Windows will not detect a keyboard or mouse
unless the switch points to Windows during the entire Windows boot
process. Which is frustrating. FreeBSD (and I imagine Linux, but you'd
better check) couldn't care less where the switch points, it'll still
find the devices.

Screen output quality seems very good for me at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz, but
above that frequency starts to look poor.

Very occassionally the switch will send a keystroke or mouse-click
twice. This is only irritating for me, but could be dangerous for use in
critical applications.

Overall, though, a switch proves invaluable for users with several old
systems lying around that they still use. In fact, my only problem with
this one is that I need a 4-port switch now. (And they tend to be more
expensive than I can stretch to.) Of course, you should look for reviews
on the Web for yourself, to find out which features you feel are most
valuable to you.
--
Bob
London, UK