Old September 14th 18, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 9/12/2018 9:16 PM, Paul wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 9/1/2018 8:36 PM, Ed Light wrote:
On 8/15/2018 12:04 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

However, my office pc will not address the 8 TB internal drive. It
will address the 4 TB internal drive though. So, my conclusion is
that my 5 year old Gigabyte Z68XP motherboard cannot address the 8
TB drive.

Maybe a bios update. Also, for some brands, tech support is helpful.
For one board, Gigabyte spun me a new bios. But for another they
said get a more expensive board, even though included bios settings
didn't work.

I updated to the last BIOS released. The mb is old, six years now.

Lynn

Is this a 4Kn drive ?

Get the model number off the drive label.

Paul

WD model WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0 with the white label. I am not sure but I'll
bet that it is a 4KB sector drive.

Lynn

OK, the good news is, you don't need a new motherboard
or endless BIOS updates.

Your drive has the "3.3V reset" feature.

"The Pesky PWDIS Feature In Newer SATA Specs"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hd...ure,36146.html

"...the existence of the power disable (PWDIS) feature in HDDs
that follow the newer SATA 3.3 (announced on February 16, 2016)
and SATA 3.2+ specifications."

"This means that if you combine a PSU with the older SATA connectors,
featuring 3.3V at P3, and a new HDD that supports the power disable
feature, the HDD won't ever start because it will see a continuous
high-state signal on P3. It will get stuck in a hard reset condition,
which will prevent the HDD from spinning up."

Translated into English, the SATA power is like this. Note, I didn't
look up the pinout, and just wanted to capture the "five by three" nature
of the pinout. SATA has three power rails, and enough ground connections
for the device to use any two rails if it wanted.

3.3V
3.3V
3.3V === Not used on 3.5", but if 3.3V is present here, is a RESET signal
GND
GND
GND
5.0V 3.5" logic board power
5.0V 3.5" logic board power
5.0V 3.5" logic board power
GND
GND
GND
12V 3.5" drive motor power
12V 3.5" drive motor power
12V 3.5" drive motor power

When you look in your PC, the ATX supply has five wires
feeding the 15 pin SATA power. That means your ATX is equipped
to power *any* storage device with SATA interface. Or, that's
what they thought years ago. They thought at the time, that
putting 3.3V on there was a good idea.

Hardly any storage devices use 3.3V today. There were some
1.8" SSDs with microSATA, which were powered by 3.3V, but
that has died out.

2.5" SSDs (i.e. for laptops) would use 5V.

OK, now consider the lowly Molex to SATA adapter cable.

X \
X \___ pins not connected, perfect for your drive!!!
X /
Molex GND GND
GND
GND
red 5V 5.0V 3.5" logic board power
5.0V 3.5" logic board power
5.0V 3.5" logic board power
black GND GND
GND
GND
yellow 12V 12V 3.5" drive motor power
12V 3.5" drive motor power
12V 3.5" drive motor power

Since a Molex doesn't have a 3.3V wire, there's no
way for PWDIS to be triggered if you use one of these
adapter wires.

While you can cut the 3.3V wire with side cutters,
on the feed from the ATX, that's a little bit harsh,
and there's always a danger the cut end could short
out to something in the PC and cause damage.

Try an adapter cable and it should start right up.

Paul