Old January 8th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Convert DVD to CD? (large .cab file)

smh wrote:

Sunny wrote:

Sunny wrote:

I just received an update for my GPS maps. The original maps were
supplied on several CDs, but the update is a single DVD.

The license allows me to install the maps on as many computers as I wish
since they can only be downloaded to my registered GPS unit - but one of
the computers I wish to use with my GPS is a couple of hundred miles
away and it does not have a DVD drive - so I'd like to convert the DVD
to several burned CDs for installation on the remote computer.

One of the files on the DVD is a large .cab file that will not fit on a
CD. I could extract it and rebuild it into spanned .cab files, but I'm
not sure if the installation program would understand spanned .cab files.

Is there a documented way to do this, or do I have to experiment to see
how the installer reacts?

Nada, so I'll post my update...

I've been using Roxio v6 for some time, but until today wasn't aware it
supported burning large projects to multiple CDs, splitting files if
required, even adds a re-assembly executable to each disk - so I tried it.

The maps fit on 2 CDs with 46MB free according to Roxio 6, and I burned
them to two Verbatim discs off a 100-disc spindle I've been using for
some time with excellent results.

The discs burned without error, but when I try to restore the retrieval
program reports an error on the large .cab file and fails to read it -
tried on several systems including the drive that burned the discs, same
result.

Does Roxio 6 file splitting/reassembly actually work?

Perhaps get a clue from this?

======================================
From: "Terry Vacha"
Date: 5/23/04
Subject: spanning does not burn 1st CD

I'm using Creator Classic which is part of the Roxio Easy CD & DVD
Creator 6 package.

When I back up files with Roxio software, basic version, it often
indicates that the project will require 3 or 4 CDs. When I start
the burn to CD, after the first CD is burned, a notice comes up on
the screen saying that the second CD has been burned correctly.
After two CDs are burned, the 3 CD project is considered finished
by Roxio. Sure enough, it never burned the first CD. I've done
this several times and several different ways including
reinstalling Roxio software. I have also downloaded all of the
upgrades allowable with my "basic" version. What is going on
here?? Do I have some "preference" incorrectly set?

Nope, no clues there. It burned both CDs.

I copied both CDs to hard disc and reassembled the large .cab file using
copy /b. The resulting file was identical to the original, and the maps
install just fine from it.

Conclusion: Roxio 6.1.1.48 file splitting works, but reassembly is
broken and has to be done manually.

Sunny