Old January 8th 06, 12:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Convert DVD to CD? (large .cab file)

Sunny wrote:

Sunny wrote:

I just received an update for my GPS maps. The original maps were
supplied on several CDs, but the update is a single DVD.

The license allows me to install the maps on as many computers as I
wish since they can only be downloaded to my registered GPS unit - but
one of the computers I wish to use with my GPS is a couple of hundred
miles away and it does not have a DVD drive - so I'd like to convert
the DVD to several burned CDs for installation on the remote computer.

One of the files on the DVD is a large .cab file that will not fit on
a CD. I could extract it and rebuild it into spanned .cab files, but
I'm not sure if the installation program would understand spanned .cab
files.

Is there a documented way to do this, or do I have to experiment to
see how the installer reacts?

TIA

Sunny

Nada, so I'll post my update...

I've been using Roxio v6 for some time, but until today wasn't aware it
supported burning large projects to multiple CDs, splitting files if
required, even adds a re-assembly executable to each disk - so I tried it.

The maps fit on 2 CDs with 46MB free according to Roxio 6, and I burned
them to two Verbatim discs off a 100-disc spindle I've been using for
some time with excellent results.

The discs burned without error, but when I try to restore the retrieval
program reports an error on the large .cab file and fails to read it -
tried on several systems including the drive that burned the discs, same
result.

Does Roxio 6 file splitting/reassembly actually work?

I think what may be best for you is to copy the file to your hard drive
and use something like Winzip to zip the file and burn it to multiple
CDs. I believe the latest version will allow you to do this. Cost for
this is minimal at $29.95, supposedly for any future releases.