Old August 27th 10, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Richard P[_4_]

Default TV online is 20 frames per minute!

On 24/08/2010 03:46, mm wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:59:44 -0700, Ed
wrote:

I'm still going to get a little better card, but I won't worry how
good.

(I'm working on an answer to your first question!)

I'm working through a saga with Hulu, 480p, run full-screen at 1440x900
on a 19" widescreen monitor.

All by itself it's decent but not very sharp. Often a bit dark and flat.

Recently Adobe came out with its 10.1 Flash player that enables hardware
acceleration using the video card.

I notice that they've sent me two version of Adobe in the last week or
so -- and I was up to date to begin with. I was hoping the first one
would fix a "script won't stop running" problem I have with a few
pages, including www.dictionary.com in Firefox3, but it didn't. I got
the second version a day or two ago, but I haven't had nerve enough to
risk freezing Firefox.

My hope was that now I could use the adjustable enhancements of my card
on Hulu -- namely Sharpening and Dynamic Contrast; also brightness,
contrast, and hopefully, gamma.

I have a Radeon 7000, since last Deember. I assume even though the
number is higher, that it's older than your 4670. Even so it has all
those adjustments you talk about and I was/am afraid to touch them.
:~|

In XP I haven't even started the program in months, although when I go
back to win98, it starts automatically (but I ignore it) I am not
literally color-blind but I have no artistic sense or sense of color
and I'm not even that good at black and white!

My Radeon 4670 will do it in Win 7. In XP I'm having terrible problems,
which wouldn't be so bad except I want it to work on a friend's XP PC
that I will visit to maintain in a bit over a month.

Oh, yeah.

I sent for and will be trying a geforce GT 240. I think the nvidia
drivers will do pretty well compared to the ATI's, which have glitches
in the control panel that are not really excusable. The ATI bum driver
reputation continues.

We'll see.

At any rate, in Win 7, with the 4670, I can make Hulu look almost like a
DVD!

That's great.

FYI, the geforce GT 240 is the minimum (current) nvidia card for highest
quality video in players that can actually use it. Tentatively, I'd say
get that one. But haven't tested it yet. It's also a power-sipper. I'm
getting the ASUS with the big fan -- reviews say it's really quiet. Got
one for $40 with rebate and free shipping!

I'll try to read this group, even after I get my new computer running.

The Radeon 7000 is absolutely ancient It isn't capable of video
acceleration AFAIK the only ATI cards that do support it are the 2xxx -
5xxx cards.