Old July 12th 18, 03:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Can I make my power supply fan turn faster?

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 12:26:56 +0100, Steve Hough
wrote:

o/p, I would just presume that someone who just squirts
the wrong oil in and hopes, is too stupid to be openeing up a PSU.

No one taught me how to work on Killer Amps - 500V on vacuum tube
plates and some relatively huge capacitors. Or fabricate from a 600
amp 220V welder. Enough to where I can fix the more obvious
mechanical issues, taking a plastic prod to a live amp to find cold
solder joints. Rebias fresh tubes, or amazing things like keep
patched vehicles running out of junkyard parts. Yes, and even steal
fans from an otherwise dead PSU. At one point I'd even have made the
classical disconnection with electrical contacts and WD40.

There's just one thing better than stupid and that's scared: Not
being mindful of not being the foremost expert when approaching
hazardous work is stupid. But that applies to anything with a will. I
watched a guy next door climb to trim a tree, bright and early one
morning, singing like a bird at the top of his voice. He got up
there, touched a nearby power wire and fell on the chain-link fence
below. He obviously didn't have a will to stay put. So they carted
him off in a helicopter that landed in the adjacent intersection.

A grain of salt may not help while driving and losing brake lines, the
steering box dis-coupling at the steering column. Nor will a slew of
uselessly stinky reviewers scratching their collective asses on
YouTube instructional videos. But I still watch, if I need the help
over leaving it. A "professional FWIW" viewpoint. It's where leaving
it -- on the second time up -- is a given that there's definitely some
aptitude that wasn't before.

-
Appraisals: $75 an hour.
Correct Appraisals: $150 an hour.
Stupid Looks: Still free if you act now.