Old June 8th 18, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Upgrading USB 2 to USB 3 ports on a computer case

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 17:57:32 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

I have an Antec 300 Illusion case. There are two USB 2.0 connector
ports on the front. I'm thinking that I may want to upgrade them to
USB 3.0.

Has anyone upgraded USB 2 ports on a chassis to USB 3? I'd like to get
some idea of what would need to be done. I could, of course, add a USB
3.0 hub instead, but it'd be nice to keep down the amount of clutter on
my desk.

Thanks,

John

An extension cable for the 4 more signal pins than USB2. Presuming
the KISS principle and a couple backplane ports.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00NH12O5I

You'll need a MB equipped with USB3 headers to cable a similar setup,
similarly dangling out of where your case USB2 headers, if not a
replacement then presently used on front USB3 paneled cases.

I'd figured for the first but hadn't looked it up. For my purposes 3M
is far too long, suspecting Ebay may have something in my range for a
tenth the price.

Clutter as horror is subject to relevancy given peculiar viewpoint. I
personally like consoles, for instance, with a long gangway and a
chair to roll around Command Central. Nothing being no more secured
or tightened down than it really need be, most of all then for easy
accessibility plucking, of course, where one other than Maintenance
actually matters.