Old August 6th 05, 01:14 PM
Ian Roberts

Default Partitions have disappeared! Can they be recovered?

Hi

Just had my concerned sounding brother on the phone...

His XP Pro system kept crashing and rebooting. It would get to the desktop
and then restart.

He described what he saw was a red circle with a white cross in the system
tray - pc may have been in safe mode by then - anyone know what that icon
might be?

Anyway...

He thought he'd restore the partition from a recent PQ drive image backup -
which was stored on another partition on the same drive (uh oh... I hear you
say).

He rebooted using the PQ drive image boot discs and got "partition not
recognised" and a single yellow bar along the top! ie just the primary
drive with no extended partition /logical drives. I cant recall what a
yellow coloured partition represents.

So assuming the data is still there somewhere are there any utilities which
can recover the partitions?

My brother is bringing over his PC tonight so I'm hoping to gather together
enough info to try and salvage his data and restore the system.

I think the drive is a WD1200JB or WD2500JB.

Thanks a lot for any info.

Ian