Old May 19th 10, 01:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

Default How many cores?

On 5/19/2010 8:02 AM, LSMFT wrote:
If I build a new pc with a new motherboard and processor, how many cores
are necessary and or used. Is x2 still adequate? or should I go for 3,
4, 7 or what?

This is like me asking: "I'm buying a new car. How many horsepower do I
need?"
(Answer: As many as freakin possible!! ;-)

In the future, most programs will be written that take advantage of
multiple processors and they will run better and faster. If you have
some of these programs now you will benefit from a multi-core processor
system. Windows 7 uses multiple processors. Many of the newer games can
use them.

But many of the programs available today do not take advantage of
multiple processors and you will see no improvement in performance. You
would get more bang for the buck from faster HDDs, more and better
memory, or better graphics card.

But if you, like me, believe in "future proofing" your builds, then a
multi-core processor system will be functionally viable further into the
future than older technology and you will not need to replace the system
as soon due to obsolescence.

If you replace your system every few years anyway, there would be far
less need to "future-proof" and you could save money by using "current
standard" parts.