Old October 24th 05, 07:13 PM
Roger

Default How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:16:05 -0400, "Dennis"
wrote:

Kodak,

You have a daunting task ahead of you. I have a Nikon 5000 and have scanned
nearly 1000 negatives at 4000 dpi. As fast as the 500 is, it seems like I
have been at it for an eternity. And after a while the whirring noise of
the scanner will test your sanity.

Now here's, the bad news. Unless you are just going to scan these images
and then forget them, you will surely have to do some post processing. If
you use Photoshop and preserve the edits on layers, those 125 meg files will
quickly become 350 megs or considerably more. If you archive the original
scan to protect if from accidental loss or damage, that means you have the
original 125 meg file to store and the 350 meg edited version. Now
depending on what you are doing with the final product, you can "flatten"
the layers in Photoshop, reduce the color bit depth, and probably reduce the
image size. That will get your post processed file size down to something
manageable.

Now you know why I have nearly 4 terabytes on my network. :-))
And two huge stacks of DVDs for archiving.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Good luck.

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:36:45 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
I can't find this info anywhere on the Nikon web site.

If I scan an image full-on highest res, 16-bit color depth and save to
a lossless format (TIFF?) how big will that file size be? If I scan a
B&W neg, will the file size be 1/3 of the color file size?

--thatcher--

Thank you.

Filesize for uncompressed TIFF is the about same as the Image size(of the
film) times the Resolution times number of colors times 2 for 16 bits.

For 35 mm film 24X36mm, (0.945" x 1.4")

Short size = .945 * 4000=3800 pixels
long size = 1.4 * 4000= 5600 pixels.

3800 * 5600 = 21,280,000 * 3 *2= 127.68 MB for color at 16 bits.
B & W would be 42.56 MB for 16 bits.

A Calculator is found he
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Wowzers. I guess I'm going to have to upgrade my system. More disk
storage, lots of it. I have about 3500-4000 black and white negs and
maybe 5000-6000 color negs and slides.

Kodak