Old January 28th 05, 01:07 AM
HH

www.crucial.com

HH

"Parts Manager" wrote in message
I have a Compaq Presario 6000 here that I am working with and it only has
128mb ram ( I really thought the base systems had more than this) but that
is what the system resources say. I cannot be sure that at one time this
machine had more than this, just that this is what it has now. I also have
no manual for it.

Questions
----------
Do Compaq (or this machine in particular) need any special memory type to
upgrade, or will standard PC2100 memory from a local shop be fine? Last I
worked on Compaqs years ago I thought they required their own special
type/size chips to upgrade.

How many memory slots are inside this machine (no manual and can't take
machine apart yet) and is there any special configuration settings that
won't work? I have to guess that there is 1 single 128mb chip and 1 extra
slot. I am thinking of buying a single 512mb chip to get to 640mb and use
both existing memory slots.

Can the 128mb and a new 512mb co-exist if there is 2 memory slots?

Thanks to all who can answer this simple question. If I told you that I
literally cannot get inside this computer, you would laugh. I have to
wait until I get all the information down (chip/type/etc...) and then I am
going to take it a part one time and put it back together when finished.
This is a very secure system. :-)

Tim