Old October 11th 04, 05:56 PM
HH

Are the original IDE cables being used? If so is the new internal HD
jumpered CS for Cable Select?
HH

"Franou" wrote in message
om...
Presario 8000 (8LSXE1) Win XP, 256MB RAM

The computer is clean: no virus, worm, spyware, malware, etc. The
primary HD has 42GB of defragmented space.

The problem started a few months ago, when, occasionally, upon being
powered on, the computer would not detect the external Iomega HDD.

The problem worsened a few weeks after I installed a second hard
drive, a Western digital 120GB, the maximum recommended by Compaq.

The computer freezes, or reboots itself unexpectedly. Upon
restarting, it finds only the CD-ROM drives and "No IDE fixed disk
present", or detects everything. I also get: "Non system disk or disk
error" without diskette in the A: drive.

I have changed the power source to make sure the computer receives
adequate power.

I have disabled Windows Automatic Restart

Clue: often, before the computer crashes, I hear repeated "clunky"
noise. The closest I can relate it to is an old fashion hardware
relay.

As I unplugged the second hard drive, the computer is more stable.

The computer is still under warranty and, if Compaq ever follows
through, I should get a new motherboard. But I am not sure this will
fix my problem.

Any suggestions are welcome! Can someone recommend software to
diagnostic my problem?

Thanks!