Old May 8th 04, 04:00 AM
Rob Stow

KR Williams wrote:

In article , Bjorn-
says...

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips David Schwartz wrote:

I'd love suggestions on the graphics card and motherboard especially.

Continue using Matrox cards, their 2D image quality is excellent. For
motherboards, I've got good experience with Tyan Thunder K8W. If it's
too expensive, a Tiger K8W would be cheaper (and mostly as good).

Umm, come again? Did you mean K8W and K8WS? Please tell me the
difference (other than the obvious). I might just pull the
trigger tomorrow, certainly by Monday.

Thunder K8W is the S2885.
Tiger K8W is the S2875.

The biggest differences are
- S2885 has eight DIMM slots - 4 per cpu - while the
S2875 has four DIMM slots, all on CPU0.
- S2885 has 4 PCI-X slots, S2875 has none.
- S2885 has dual Gb Ethernet, S2875 has one.