Old November 1st 11, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Default Next game box

By the way... Most systems use much less power than you might
think. The popular conception of needing a high wattage power
supply is probably mostly marketing hype. I don't understand why
so-called technically inclined users/reviewers don't understand
that, but oh well.

I always understood the extra power acts like a smoothing
filter. The supply only puts out what the system calls for, so
if it only needs 300 watts, I have a 450 watt overhead and
heavy components that don't overheat from the surges.
Also, the new low power components .. power down .. thus
saving energy on the average. They still need to handle
the surges and use high power for short periods .. so the
potential needs to be there ... I think !!!!

I just got an Antec 902 case .. a HUGE improvement over
the early 900s. I can run all of the ps-wires behind the mobo
for an extremely clean build. That's a good start. And I'm going
to 8 gig ram for Win7 / 64 .. finally see Gothic 3 not stutter :-)
Fat chance, but what the heck.

johns