Old April 27th 05, 07:50 PM
Earl F. Parrish

"High" wrote in message

Earl, is this diagnostic partition necessary, couldn't he just
install the OS?

As I stated two messages up, he can run the BIOS Setup or the
Diagnostic routine from a floppy diskette created from a
Hewlett-Packard SoftPaq download. The Diagnostic Partition simply
allows a Compaq user to go into BIOS Setup without using a floppy
diskette. New Compaq computers have the BIOS Setup routine
hard-coded in ROM so that neither the floppy diskette nor the
Diagnostic partition is needed.

If I already had installed my operating system on my hard drive
along with my program and data files, I would not remove them just
to create the Diagnostic Partition. The situation I described in my
case was done to get rid of the vestige of Linux which was still
trying to boot when I started my computer. But for that, I would
have left my hard drive alone.

--
Earl F. Parrish