Old January 29th 05, 09:50 AM
w_tom

What to measure and limits for those numbers are provided in
alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004
at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

Voltage numbers should be in upper 3/4 limits of those
limits. If all voltages are OK when computer is powered off
and powered on (purple wire always provide voltage which is
why power cord must be removed before fixing anything from
computer).

Once the power supply system (it contains three separate
parts) is demonstrated OK (by numbers), only then do we move
on to other usual suspects. Meanwhile, get comprehensive
diagnostics for that IBM. Next will be to test hardware
without the complications of software (such as Windows and
drivers). I believe IBM called them "Advanced Diagnostics".
Either they are on disk drive, on a separate diskette, or can
be downloaded from IBM web site. All responsible computer
manufacturers provide comprehensive diagnostics for free -
which suggests a benchmark that some other manufacturers do
not meet.

Unfortunately there has been too many changes without first
collecting data. Failure to first collect data may be the
'death knell' because I recall a reference to Ez-Bios. IOW
important information for Ez-Bios may have been destroyed by
resetting CMOS without first recording important numbers. One
never fixes anything until all critical data is collected.
This is but one example why. You would not believe how
complex a problem can be created by Ez-Bios IF we don't have
correct information on that unique version of Ez-Bios (also
applies to other Bios Extenders).

Any rate, get those power supply numbers and report back.
Even if you don't know what those numbers are, still, those
numbers make it possible for the learned to do more than 'wild
speculation'. Previously, too many posters were doing just
that - wildly speculating. First get facts.

Tanya wrote:
this is not a very popular topic as i keep losing people :-)
but i'd appreciate any help.
ibm aptiva 2159-s90 (1997; split system; win95B) SUDDENLY for no reason,
had post-start-up errors (date and time change (they hadn't changed) and
config change -- referred to the floppy drive))
the floppy was fine (basically) i changed the battery last pm and it
wouldn't pass the post (at all)
cleared the cmos (paper btwn clip and battery overnight)
it booted this am; many post-start-up errors (some phantom)
currently: the cd-rom (in the media console) is running however the pc
won't recognize the win95 cd (the cd-rom is set as the 4th start-up
device)
the post-start-up error now is: "adapter card resource error" which i
think refers to the media console controller card (since it's in an isa
slot)
i have NO CLUE what to do about that.
so i want to get the pc to reset to factory settings and don't know how
to get this (it is not listed (although it used to be))

i need to test the psu and want to make sure that this is correct:
i'd put the positive (red) probe (backprobe) to for example the red wire
on the power cable to the hd and THEN ground it (for example using the
p8-6 and p9-1(the center black wires on the power to the board
adapter?))
any help is greatly hoped for and appreciated