Old July 5th 04, 05:19 PM
David Efflandt

On 5 Jul 2004, terry_b17 wrote:
hi,
the internet is full of horror stories or hp and compaq owners without
true system restore cds . a google search for presario recovery or
pavilion recovery will bury you in results . if you are a presario or
pavilion owner i would immediately contact hp/compaq support and
request your complete recovery disk set before you experience hdd
problems and find you have to go shopping for an os .
good luck,
terry

Or if you have CD or DVD writer, you should make the recovery CD's or
Recovery Tools CD and Recovery DVD before going online at all (to avoid
being infected by many worms that infect through open ports or insecure
browser, without even touching e-mail).

I forget if I did that for XP Home on my HP PC before or after 64-bit XP
Pro beta corrupted my partition table (changed heads and cylinders), so it
could not reboot itself or XP Home. But I was lucky enough to fix my
partition table from a Linux rescue CD, with a bit of guessing, and no
data loss. So be cautious before even trying any Windows beta versions or
updates (some people have had some sort of trouble with XP SP2 beta
updates).