Old January 11th 04, 02:12 AM
xavier

Default Trying to restore the SoundMAX driver - HELP

Compaq PIII 0.8MHz W98SE

I am trying to help a Deskpro-owner friend with a sound problem using
SFC's EXTRACT ONE FILE FROM THE INSTALLATION DISK and don't quite know
which CAB to point to in the C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\???.CAB path.

Apparently, the now-removed W95.Hybris.gen1 was behind the
disappearance of SMWDM.SYS (soundMax driver) and I am trying to
restore the driver. I've looked in drivers CAB files one by one but
it is not there. So I thought maybe in one of the others, but they
are too many. Is there a searchable Compaq-CAB index somewhere that
could identify the CAB number, given a particular file name.

Unable to determine which series and model number Deskpro it is, I
tried a few more recent SoundMax drivers, but they wouldn't fly, so I
decided to use the one it had, but I am faced with the
needle-in-the-haystack dilemma with all the CAB files. Would it be
easier to find out what series and model it is. Any hidden labels
somewhere in the cabinet?

I would appreciate any advice, thanks

xavier