Old February 3rd 04, 10:32 AM
MrJumbles

ok,thanks very much for that info.

"wm" wrote in message
news:%rJTb.3714$Le3.2114@okepread04...
MrJumbles wrote:
Are then any issues with using a laptop like a desktop system? I want to

run
it 24/7 as a quieter and smaller alternative to a tower/monitor set

up.....I
would use an external kb/mouse/tablet as well.. live in australia so
ambient temps as high as 30c..
are laptops up to this type of use..
any info or experience appreciated.
steven.

I've essentially been doing it for 3 years now. Issues to consider: the
HD is considerably slower than a desktop system; heat can sometimes be
a problem, make sure that all of the vents are clear of obstructions;
the sound card is extremely susceptible to heat, mine starts making a
horrible sound after its been running for a while. Also, realize that
leaving it plugged in all of the time will effectively ruin the battery.
If its possible, you'll want to remove that. The CD-ROM, at least in
my notebook, is noticeably louder than a desktop drive when it spins up.
If it matters, the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S503. Other
than those considerations, I wouldn't think it a bad idea. Good luck.

~wm