Old February 1st 18, 12:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default “500 Petabytes And Counting”

Lynn McGuire wrote:

500 Petabytes And Counting
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/500-p...-and-counting/

It seems like only yesterday that we crossed the 350 petabyte mark. It
was actually June 2017, but boy have we been growing since. In October
2017 we crossed 400 petabytes. Today, were proud to announce weve
crossed the 500 petabyte mark. Thats a very healthy clip, see for
yourself!

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/a...center-storage
"... YouTube as an example. In a recent paper on Disks for Data Centers,
Google researchers pointed out that users upload over 400 hours of video
every minute, which at one gigabyte per hour requires adding 1 petabyte
(that's 1 million Gigabytes) of data center storage capacity every day."

500 petabytes would peter out after 1.3 years at Youtube. Back in 2013,
Google was estimated at 10-13 exabytes across 900,000 servers in all of
their data centers.

1 exabyte = 1000 petabytes

Blaze isn't the biggest storage device consumer. Back 4 years ago,
Google was way ahead by 20+ times what Blaze has now, plus I severely
doubt Google has been stagnant in capacity growth. In July 2016,
Gartner estimated that Google had increased to 2.5 million servers.