Old July 7th 03, 05:07 PM
Dennis Roark

Default Powmax p-supply. Any good?

"sdlomi" wrote in
:

I've found what seems to be an inexpensive p-supply w/good specs.
The
brand is Powmax, with the following specs:
Output:
+5v / 30A max.
-12v / 0.8A max.
-5v / 0.3A max.
+12v / 25A max.
+3.3v / 28A max.
+5vsb / 2.0A max. It's listed as a 400-watt, model LP-8800-D, and
can be purchased as cheap as ~$12.00 including s/h. Has 1-year
warranty.
Needing one for an ECS K7S5A, at 1st I was dubious, but when I
read the
specs, including meeting 2.03 & ATX 12v 1.1, I had 2nd thoughts.
Anyone with experience with it? Any ideas, pro/con will be
appreciated.
Thx, sdlomi
(I posted in ELITE ng too, didn't know which was
appropriate--sorry.)

It is way out of date and won't run AMD XP+ or Pentium IV cpu's because
they need the power on the 12 volt line. This provides almost no power
on that line (if your figures are correct) and provides the current on
the 5 volt line, which only the older cpu's use. It is a good paper
weight or replacement in an ancient system if you do not intend to move
to a modern cpu: stay away, this is why it is so cheap!

--
Dennis Roark

Starting Points:
www.home.earthlink.net/~denro