Old January 6th 04, 03:53 AM
Lance

Aloke Prasad wrote:
"Lance" wrote in message
link.net...
Lance wrote:

So my RAID'ed SATA drives are indeed faster than my UDMA 5 drive,
but the difference isn't very much at block sizes less than 16kB.
For blocks sizes greater than 128kB, the RAID'ed SATA drives are
about double the speed of UDMA 5.

All in all, I'm pleased as punch. My major need for speed comes from
editing photos and video so these characteristics are perfect for my
needs.

I had a similar decision when I set up my system. I too capture
AVI's from a DV camera and do editing and DVD authoring.

I chose to stay with non-RAID configuration because of concerns about
backing up OS and data. Ghost does not support RAID.

The non-RAID transfers are fast enough to accommodate captures, which
is where disk throughput becomes critical (otherwise we'll get
dropped frames). For rendering and authoring, CPU becomes the
rate-limiting step. With my P4 3 GHz I get 40-55 frames/s rendering,
which is fine by me.

Sigh, a 3GHz would've blown my budget, so I got a 2.6 GHz instead. But for
my personal use, I don't think I'll ever buy a Dell/HP/etc again. Building
your own is the way to go.

Lance
*****