Old August 27th 20, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default ssd sata rack w. happy customers?

bad sector wrote:

I'm planning my move to ssd's and want to replace my spinners cage rack
with a 4, 6, or 8-bay ssd rack, one of those that stack'em standing on
edge, which is what I have now for the 3.5" spinners with 6 bays. What I
DON'T want EVER AGAIN are the very confusing lights and switches that
are NOT aligned with the bays, as on my present one. A reasonable price
would help too.

There are still cables present. While you could use
a SATA backplane, the cables still have to connect
somewhere to it. And "8 bays" would be a lot of cables
to be slugging around. You then have to figure out whether
straight, left-angle, or right-angle connectors are
required.

The cage rack is likely proprietary, so if someone
makes a solution, it probably doesn't fit a PC case
unless it's *their* PC case. You would have to be
very careful of dimensions, for it to be compatible
by accident. The cage could always start with the
3.5" formfactor dimensions as an outer dimension and
work inwards. With some loss of volume.

Paul