Old May 25th 09, 05:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Keiser

Default LaserJet 1012 Vertical Fade

Possibly solved but comments still welcomed.
Before following disassembling to check the fuser sensor [which I understand
can accumulate toner and leave about a 1/4 inch wide faded stripe], I
removed the cartridge, depressed the laser shutter lever, and inspected the
laser lens area with a dental mirror.
I could not see anything on the glass, but used a blast of air.
Faded vertical stripe almost invisible now. [I probably would not detect it
had it not been noticable before.]
So I will stop while I am ahead.

"John Keiser" wrote in message
Printer works well but has a "slight" faded vertical band about 3 inches
from the left margin, about 1/4 inches wide. New cartridge.
Doing a "half self test" I can see slight fadeing on the drum at that
location.
I surmise this means some issue with the laser mirror or lenses.
Normal cleaning cycle has not helped.
I have the service manual and am tempted to disassemble and gently clean
the lenses [soft cloth/brush] but as this somewhat involved [and I could
make the problem that I can "live with" worse] I thought I should ask if
(1) does my diagnosis sound right and (2) is there is any easier way to
accomplish this cleaning short of complete disassembly.
Thanks for any advice.