Old April 20th 04, 01:13 PM
Charles Waters

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunetly, the Compaq BIOS gives very few
options. In fact, the only options that effect video are making the onboard
video the primary or secondary controller.

I've burned the latest BIOS with no luck and I've reset the BIOS repeatedly.
For some reason, I think that after Windows boots, there must be some
hardware register on the machine that is turning off LCD output and enabling
the external video output. I'm trying to find a way to change that setting
in hardware, if I can find it!

I'll keep trying and post the resolution when I figure it out.

By the way, ATI doesn't make drivers for it's Mobility series of video
chipsets available on its web page. You are forced to download the drivers
from the vendor that made the laptop.

"JAD" wrote in message
link.net...
Definitely a driver install problem. As the PC boots it is using the
basic I/O from the bios, after the logo and a few seconds the drivers
for windows loads. Try booting to 'safe mode' and check the device
manager for problems.

"Charles Waters" wrote in message
om...
Okay, this is weird. I don't know if my kids did something or what.
Suddenly, whenever windows goes into graphics mode, the screen goes
completely blank. Let me describe the scenarios......

I couldn't figure out why the display would go completely blank, so

reloaded the OS (Windows XP). The graphical portion of the load

works fine
as does the generic VGA mode. After the boot, I can see the

640X480X16 color
screen. After I download and load the latest ATI Radeon drives from

the
Compaq web page, the system reboots. After the reboot, I see the

text
portion of the boot, then I see the Windows XP logo with the little

bar
below it that shows the progress of the OS load, then blank. It's

completely
blank, like all power is being removed from the display, no back

light, no
nothing. The PC is still operating. I can hear sounds, just no

display.

So, I tried loading Windows 2000 Pro, same problem.

Then I loaded Windows ME, same problem.

I loaded a few versions of Linux and they all work! So I know that

the
display is functional.

I tried toggeling the Function F4 sequence which changes display

output to
the video-out connectors, but this had no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!